I just started this too late. I wish I’d found fly fishing much sooner in life. It could’ve saved me a lot of heart ache. A lot of anger. A lot of depression. What you’ve got to understand is that even though I’ve always fished, there were a great number of years in between being a long haired head banger in high school stricken by the need to hunt bass in farm ponds with spinning rods and these years now, that I find time fleeting and calendars shrinking as I dream of chasing fish to the ends of the earth with a fly rod. The years in between were a distracted time the way I see it. There was always a fishing rod leaning in a corner of a closet or the garage that came out a couple times a year, but there were too many things taking my full attention, leaving almost none for the fish and the places they could be found.
- Tags: adirondacks, anger issues, bass fishing, Bass on the fly, Blugill on the fly, Brook trout, Brown Trout, catch and release, crappie on the fly, fall fly fishing, fish bum, fish stories, fishing gear, fishing memories, fly box, fly fishing, Fly Fishing Adventure, fly fishing lessons, glass is not dead, hot rod, learning to fly fish, life experience, life lessons, looking back, mental health, one more cast, panfish on the fly, purposefully lost, stability, streamer junkie, time to heal, Trout bum, trout power, wild brook trout, zen, zen and the river
Few words have the impact when spoken that steelhead does. See? You just felt something when you read it. Steelhead. Don’t believe me? Do you remember the scene in Stand by Me, (if you don’t know the movie then stop reading. Just stop. You’re probably too young to have seen it, because everyone else in the world that’s old enough has. Find it, watch it, and then come back to this later) the scene where Ace says to Eyeball and Charlie “You guys are like my grandmother having a conniption fit. I don't see your problem. We brought a whole bunch of fishing gear, and if a cop asks us what we're doing here, we're just here to take a couple steelhead out of the river, and look what we found!” That one line set a tone of extreme maturity and coolness at that moment in the film. Suddenly, a punk, a thug named Ace became a very cool guy for a few seconds. It was a line that would have never worked, never been so powerful had steelhead been replaced by bass, or even trout. Because of the use of steelhead, the line was pure Hollywood gold. I’ve never gone for steelhead, always avoided it because of people, but even I recognize the power in the emotions the name evokes. There’s only one other word in fly fishing that comes close to grabbing the attention of fly anglers by tender regions and making their eyebrows raise, their heads tilt to one side or the other like a dog, listening to the conversation with a feeling of importance. It also happens to be connected to steelhead…Stonefly.
- Tags: Bass, beer and bugs, bluegill, Blugill on the fly, bronzeback, Brook trout, Brown Trout, carp, catch and release, Crappie, crappie on the fly, fall fly fishing, fly box, fly fishing, fly gear, fly tying, flytying, flytying junkie, life lessons, low sodium squid, panfish on the fly, Perch on the fly, rock bass on the fly, salmon river, salmon season, smallmouth bass, squid, squid fly, steelhead season, steelhead stonefly, Trout bum, trout season, Tying materials, west canada creek, winter browns, winter fly fishing, winter trout, woolly bugger
I caught a really good brook trout up north, in the 20” range. Then I didn’t fish for two weeks and when I finally did I caught a great 21” brown. Then two days later I went back to the same spot and on my short 3wt rod, because I’d...
- Tags: 3wt, 5 weight, Adirondack brook trout, adirondacks, Bass, Bass on the fly, Blugill on the fly, bottom feeders, bronzeback, Brook trout, Brown Trout, crappie on the fly, creek chub, dry fly, fall fish, fish bum, fly fishing, Largemouth bass, Northern Pike, pan fish, panfish, panfish on the fly, Perch on the fly, Pike on the fly, red fish, rock bass, rock bass on the fly, simply fish, smallmouth bass, smallmouthbass, stocked trout, sucker fish, sun fish, sunfish on the fly, trophy section, Trout bum, trout power, trout season, trout stream, walleye on the fly, west canada creek, wild brook trout, wild trout
Need. NEED? What do you really need? Let's be honest, all anyone truly needs is food, water, and oxygen. Something to eat, water to drink, air to breath. Everything else we need these days was invented by humans before us and has just exploded to proportions to huge to be...
- Tags: 3 weight fiberglass rod, Adirondack brook trout, adirondacks, bass fishing, Bass on the fly, bluegill, Blugill on the fly, bone fish, bronzeback, Brown Trout, catch and release, custom glass fly rod, fiberglass fly rod, fish bum, fish hatchery, flats fly fishing, fly box, fly fishing, fly gear, glass fly rod, JP Ross Fly Rods, Largemouth bass, Largemouthbass, muir, Northern Pike, pan fish, panfish, panfish on the fly, Pike on the fly, purposefully lost, smallmouth bass, sucker fish, Trout bum, trout stream, What fish need, wild trout
The kid was drowning worms on the bank a mere 40 feet from where I was standing in the water casting out to the rocks on the opposite side with a small popper. It was one of those marginal fishing days. It was hot. Nothing, including the fish wanted to...
- Tags: Bluegill, Blugill on the fly, catch and release, Crappie, crappie on the fly, epiphanies, farmpond, fly fishing lessons, life experience, longear, panfish, panfish on the fly, panfish panfish on the fly, Perch, Perch on the fly, purposefully lost, rock bass, rock bass on the fly, sun fish, sunfish, sunfish on the fly, zen